[pdftex] SVG Graphics

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 9 20:08:05 CEST 2011

Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de> wrote:

> 2011/6/9 John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com>:
> > To compete in today's world both svg and Tiff should be acceptable inputs to
> > all current forms of TeX. IMO of course.
>
> Your patch for full tiff-support is welcome. Unfortunately libtiff has
> a history
> of security problems and tiff is much less well-defined format than one thinks.

in my previous job, graphics was the major part of my work.  one of the
myriad variants of tiff was the only one that actually defeated me.

> > Also the pdf output formats should include pdf X/1-a:2001 format. Some
>
> This is probably easy with ConTeXt.

well, quite: context comes out of a publisher.  it might be easy with
latex, if anyone had the activation potential to get down to writing a
solid package.

the problem is, that people only bother with packages that satisfy their
own needs.  the ones that complain the most tend not to bother with
actual implementation of anything.

[note: i speak as one who's felt the need to decline a commission in the
recent-ish past.  not everyone expects everything done for them, for free.]

robin