[pdftex] PDF File Size

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:07:08 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 4:21 AM, Reinhard Kotucha
<reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:
> On 2011-06-07 at 00:01:57 -0400, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>
>  > On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Kip Warner <kip at thevertigo.com> wrote:
>  > > On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 23:49 -0400, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>  > >> \pdfminorversion=6
>  > >> \pdfobjcompresslevel=3
>  > >> \pdfcompresslevel=9
>  > >> \documentclass[]{}
>  > >
>  > > Thanks Victor, but where should that go? I tried inserting it after the
>  > > opening "\input texinfo.tex" line, but I got the following error:
>  >
>  > On the top of the source file !!! Not in command line
>
> Hi,
> the first error message (Use of \ doesn't match its definition) was
> caused by texinfo.tex itself.  texinfo is using '@' instead of '\' as
> an escape character with \catcode 0.  The correct syntax _after_
> \input texinfo.tex would be @pdfminorversion=6.
>
> In order to use object stream compression, it's sufficient to set
> \pdfminorversion=5.  As of TeX Live 2010, these settings are the
> default:
>
>  \pdfminorversion=5
>  \pdfobjcompresslevel=2
>  \pdfcompresslevel=9

> They don't depend on a particular pdftex release, they are set in the
> config file (pdftexconfig.tex).  Thus, you can also adapt the config
> file of a former TeX Live release or MiKTeX accordingly.  The format
> files have to be re-created after the change.

 tex source if contains has a precedence. However I found only
infinitesimal difference. (few years ago the difference in beamer was
essential)

Definitely "They don't depend on a particular pdftex release" as long
as it can handle the settings.
 \pdfcompresslevel=10 returns an error with pdftex 1.40.12

The original poster was interested in the maximal compression.

> Smaller files can be obtained when using XeTeX or LuaTeX with Latin
> Modern OpenType fonts instead of Computer Modern.  But this requires
> changes in texinfo.tex.

How much smaller?

> Regards,
>  Reinhard