[pdftex] ftp://ftp.dante.de/pub/fptex/standalone/ http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/obsolete/systems/msdos/pdftex/

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 4 15:37:52 CEST 2011

Vasos Panagiotopoulos <vjp2 at biostrategist.com> wrote:

> The first link is dead,

and not advertised anywhere, that i know of.  fptex is a win32 system,
and while it's now long deprecated, i don't believe it ever ran on
ms-dog.  it _is_ on the ctan archives, but not at a non-archive address
such as you quote.

> the pdftex (exe & poo only) download keeps
> complaining it is missing something

format, presumably.  "missing something" doesn't help.  you're allowed
to make these things for yourself, you know.

> I use pdftex on my unix shell isp. I have used Scribe since 1979.
>
> I would like (1) a version which works on msdos (2) one that works in
> portable apps
>
> I want it as small and simple as possible. I can live with only courier
> font if I have to

a wierd choice, if ever there was.

> much obliged for help

you're asking a lot: a "small" version of an executable that was the
first notably large tex development.  note that even running native tex,
in a sensible way, required memory extensions on ms-dog.

since you give no motivation for your requirements, it's difficult to
suggest alternatives.

robin fairbairns

who commented on a similar request in comp.text.tex, which claimed to
come from the same mail server as yours, but was using an assumed name.