[pdftex] TeX as a composition server?

Jeffrey McArthur jeffmcarthur at comcast.net
Wed Oct 27 15:20:34 CEST 2010

The composition systems I created typeset directly from XML. There is no
need to convert XML to TeX markup.

Again, if you are willing to work with active characters in TeX, there is no
reason to worry about font limitations. Using UTF-8 encoding, and setting
some characters active to handle the UTF-8 escape sequences I typeset the
Library of Congress Subject Matter headings. I had to set up several virtual
fonts (I like VF files). The Library of Congress Subject Matter was
particularly difficult because Unicode does not include all the glyphs
needed (the transliterated Vietnamese are not included in Unicode 4 or 5).

Jeffrey McArthur
cell: 610-389-0734
home: 610-450-6115
email: jeffmcarthur at comcast.net