[pdftex] Another request for an enhancement to pdf(La)TeX

James Quirk jjq at galcit.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 26 13:22:44 CEST 2010

Andre,

> This is a valid question, but it does not complicate the issue at all. The stream length (with its seeking at the moment) and the compression are clearly separate. I should also add that other PDF generators do use the described solution to generate the PDF output without seeking while not knowing the size of the streams in advance. To my understanding, it should be fairly possible to do the same in pdfTeX, though it is a change in the pdfTeX source. (I do not know whether an additional object will break some internal object counting, though.) Anyway, to come back to your comment: Moving the size of a stream in a separate object does not harm the compression of the streams at all.
As I said, I've not looked at the source so I don't know the
precise details of how /ObjStm's are handled. But as they
involve groups of objects there must be some caching mechanism
involved, which may involve disk seeking so as to cut down
on memory consumption. But if not then great, it will make
it easier for someone to implement your feature request.

James