[pdftex] Two-color printing with pdftex

Jeffrey McArthur jeffmcarthur at comcast.net
Sat Nov 20 16:02:52 CET 2010

The way I did color separation in the past was moderately complicated. I
used some font tricks with virtual fonts.

I used tfmtopl to create the .PL file for each font.
Then I hacked the .PL file into a VPL file.
If I wanted the text for that font/color combination to print, then it set
the char, otherwise it just did a move.

Then you switch the virutal fonts to print in one color or the other.

Rules are managed the same way by setting the rule in the VPL file and not
in TeX.

Graphics are done by using a special command in the VPL file.

This is very ugly, but it worked.

Jeffrey McArthur