[pdftex] elementary latex-pdflatex questions

Haines Brown KB1GRM haines at historicalmaterialism.info
Sat Nov 6 02:20:28 CET 2010

In a new installation of debian squeeze, the TeX package I installed
was TeXlive 2009. This introduced a change from the default production
of .dvi files to the production of .pdf. This left me unable to
function, and I'm sorry to have to bring up some very elementary
questions.

It seems that if I run the latex command on a .tex file I'll generate
a .dvi file, and if I run pdflatex on it, I generate a .pdf file.
However, I get inconsistent results. Is there a problem combining
these commands? Is there a preferred sequence? For example, if I
generate a .dvi with the latex command, I can not then subsequently
create a .pdf with the pdflatex command. Even though there is an .aux
file, the log has:

	No file test.aux.
	\openout1 = `test.aux'.

In choosing between .dvi and .pdf format, I have the impression that
to print hard copy, a .dvi file is mandatory, and the .pdf is for
transmitting formatted documents as on the web or submitting material
for publication. I'd appreciate some commentse on the accuracy of
this.

Since I primarily want to print hard copy, I'd like to make the latex
command default and the pdflatex command an option. To make latex the
default command, there's probably a statement I can put in my .emacs
init file such as (setq TeX-command-default "LaTeX"), but I haven't
been able to find it.

When I go to print the .dvi file witn C-c C-p, I get "No appropriate
`dvi' file could be found" even though there's one in the directory
holding the .tex file.

Where is the documentation that answers such questions? I've poured
through some manuals, but they seem to skip questions such as this.

Haines Brown