[pdftex] graphic{s,x} PNG + pdflatex bug

Martin Heller mr_heller at yahoo.dk
Thu May 6 19:41:17 CEST 2010

On 2010-05-06 16:31, Nico Schlömer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I experienced a weird bug using \includegraphics of the graphicx
> package with pdflatex 1.40.10.
>
> I try to load the attached PNG file, and unlike with other PNG files,
> pdflatex would just bail out with
>
> ==================== *snip* ====================
> [...]
> )
> ! Dimension too large.
> <argument>  \wd \@tempboxa
> l.7 \includegraphics{img1.png}
> ?
> ==================== *snap* ====================
>
> David Carlisle, maintainer of graphicx, suggests that may be a bug in
> pdflatex -- What do you reckon?

Your image has a rather odd resolution.

Image: img1.png
   Format: PNG (Portable Network Graphics)
   Class: DirectClass
   Geometry: 250x250+0+0
   Resolution: 0.39x0.39
   Print size: 641.026x641.026
   Units: PixelsPerInch

So your png is 250/0.39 = 641.026 in wide.

That is 46153 pt which is larger than \maxdimen. Change the resolution
and your image works fine with \includegraphics.