[pdftex] errors in pdf files?

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon Mar 1 15:20:20 CET 2010

Hi,

As part of a routine check, I noticed that pdfinfo complains about the two
following files on CTAN, apparently produced by pdftex:

1. http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/dvdcoll/doc/dcexample.pdf
Error: Reference in Fields array to an invalid or non existant object
(repeated many times)

2. http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/etextools/etextools.pdf
Error: Annotation destination array is too short

xpdf issues the same errors, but manages to read the file anyway. I'm not sure
whether these errors are real or an artefact of pdfinfo, and what should be done
about it. (Just to be sure, I recompiled dcexample.tex with a more recent pdfTeX
(1.40.10) but it didn't change anything.)

Since I don't understand the errors, I don't know whether they are actually
related to pdfTeX, so if my message is misplaced on this list, I apologize for
the noise and hope you'll be kind enough to give me some pointers about these
errors.

Thanks,
Manuel.