[pdftex] Adding objects to the page

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Tue Jan 26 22:11:53 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 02:21:16PM -0400, Jim Diamond wrote:

> as one of the (apparently?) few (radical, subversive?) plain TeX users,
> I sincerely appreciate your effort in making the package work for
> plain TeX.
>
> Having said that, the location of atbegshi in TL 2009 is mostly
> misleading:
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/source/latex/oberdiek/atbegshi.dtx
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/atbegshi.sty
                                         ^^^^^^^
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/oberdiek/atbegshi.pdf
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/oberdiek/test/atbegshi-test3.tex
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/oberdiek/test/atbegshi-test1.tex
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/oberdiek/test/atbegshi-test2.tex
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/oberdiek/atbegshi-example1.tex
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/oberdiek/atbegshi-example2.tex
>
> All those /latex/'s obscure the one /generic/ and led me to believe
> that it is a latex-specific package.
>

> Further, in atbegshi.pdf I see
> 	CTAN:install/macros/latex/contrib/oberdiek.tds.zip
> which again makes it look like a latex thing.
>

> Do you think it might make sense to have more "generic" and less "latex"?

No. I had decided against splitting the documentation, sources and
CTAN location. Thus I can easliy have one table of contents document
that only have links to the other PDF documents that are located
in the same directory.
  All the packages in my bundle share the same infrastructure.
Therefore I want to keep things together. Otherwise I would end
up with 84 CTAN locations 84 directories under TDS:doc//, ...
and 84 .tds.zip files. I doubt that this will make things easier.
  The difference between `generic' and `latex' is only important for
the TeX compiler. Therefore I differentiate in the TDS:tex// branch.
The exception are packages that need the help of miniltx.tex,
e.g. because they load the color or graphicx package. I have put
these in TDS:tex/latex//, because color.sty and graphicx.sty
are in the same branch. A plain-TeX user that wants to use them
already has to add TDS:tex/latex// in the search path for
color.sty and graphicx.sty.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>