[pdftex] [tex-live] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Jan 18 20:20:36 CET 2010

On Monday 11 January 2010 04:39:19 Vedran Miletić wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Ulrich Dirr <ud at art-satz.de> wrote:
> >> (Sorry for the cross-posting.)
> >>
> >> For TL 2010, we would like to change the default PDF output version to
> >> PDF 1.5 (proposed by Elie Roux).  This is so we can use
> >> \pdfcompresslevel and generate noticeably smaller PDF's by default.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> If anyone knows of other reasons not to make the change, please speak
> >> up.
> >
> > If you want to produce files that conform to ISO standards like PDF/X-3
> > (which is widely spread in printing industry) or PDF/X-1a (mainly for
> > archiving purposes) files in PDF 1.5 won't pass.
>
> Actually, this is quite important. With this in mind, I would vote
> against PDF 1.5 in TL2010.
>
> Regards,

In the USA several major POD (digital) printer prefer or insist on
PDF/X-1a:2001, such as the largest, LSI, but also 360 Digital Books.  Baker
and Taylor's new digital service Textstream prefers pdf 1.4.  So these should
be ready options for TL 2010.

European printers may use pdf/X-3 but I have not heard of any USA printers
requiring or even accepting that standard.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"