[pdftex] [tex-live] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Wed Jan 13 09:57:35 CET 2010

On 13/01/2010 08:31, Élie Roux wrote:
> 2010/1/13 Reinhard Kotucha<reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:
>>
>> There is still no free viewer available which supports PDF-1.5.  Period!
>
> But they all support objcompression (which is the main point of the discussion).
>
>> Try
>>
>>   texdoc movie15
>
> movie15 uses features of PDF1.6 (and flashmovie from PDF1.7 optional
> extentions), even though it doesn't change the \pdfminorversion,
> that's the problem. I sent a bugreport, but they didn't change
> anything.
>
>>   texdoc miocrotype
>
> This is strange, Adobe Reader 6 which is said to support PDF 1.5
> doesn't read it... I think it has some PDF1.5 optional extentions in
> it...
>
> Anyway let's keep talking about the widely supported features of
> PDF1.5, talking about the extentions makes no sense here.

Well the TeXworks previewer can certainly read PDF-1.5 files made using
the settings being discussed here. TeXworks uses the Poppler library,
and that is free, and I'm sure is used by other viewers. So you can
certainly read a PDF-1.5 file (i.e. one that says "PDF-1.5" in the
Document Properties with Reader) using free software.
--
Joseph Wright