[pdftex] [tex-live] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Jan 12 17:36:06 CET 2010

Manuel Pegourie-Gonnard wrote:

 > So, assume you receive a document in PDF 1.5 format. Is it very
 > inconvenient for you to read, or can you cope with it?

An interesting question, since I do not know which
version people send. I am quite used to seeing "This
document contains features that are not compatible
with your version of Acrobat, so you may miss something",
but in general the document still displays OK.  If
you can send me (off-list) a known PDF 1.5 file, I will
be more than happy to try to open it and to report
back the results.

 > IMO that is the real question. Most people seem to prefer smaller PDFs.
 > If that only makes the documents inconvenient to read for others, I
 > think it's acceptable. It would be more annoying if the documents were
 > completely unreadable for some users.

A very fair analysis.
** Phil.