[pdftex] including pdf with layers

Carlos.General at gmx.de Carlos.General at gmx.de
Mon Sep 14 18:42:40 CEST 2009

Dear experts,
I create technical and illustrative drawings in Adobe Illustrator and it has for quite some time been possible to keep the document layers (optional content groups) within the pdf. The user can then in Acrobat switch off/on layers and explore underlying structures etc...

However, when including these files in a latex document, with pdftex the layers are lost.
Is there any possible way to keep the layer information?

Also, I found no way to create layers with pdftex. It would also be possible to export the original image to several files and reassemble the layers again later. Does anybody have a working example or package that can handle that?

Regards,
Carlos