[pdftex] Colour profiles and pdftex

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Sep 6 20:15:37 CEST 2009

Bellaïche<abellaic at math.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have gone into many troubles with a printing house recently
about
> > colour profiles or workspaces of included illustrations. The
printer
> > complained very much about colour profiles for image files
embedded in
> > the pdf file, although the book was in black, and all the
illustrations
> > had been converted to black and white or gray level.
>
> Grays can be very difficult to get right.  If you have images such
as
> photographs where certain details need to be visible in
(photocopies
> of) print versions, then you need either a very cooperative
printer
> (almost impossible to find) or you have to take full advantage
of
> the prepress tools for color management.
>
> > These profiles or workspaces have names as Fogra 27 or Dot
Gain 15%.

<http://americanprinter.com/prepress/color/printing_implementing_color_mana
>gement/>
>
> wikipedia.com: PDF/X, "ICC profile"
> Google: site:adobe.com PDF/X "ICC profile"
>
> Book: "Exploring Digital PrePress: The Art and Technology of
Preparing
> Electronic Files for Printing" by
> Reid Anderson
>
> > 2) Is there a default profile included by pdftex in the files it
> > produces? What does pdftex do with the profile of included
images, which
> > can be of various sources: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop,
Mathematica,
> > Geoplan... ?
>
> No.  In N. America many shops assume SRGB if no profile is
provided.
> Many LCD displays have an SRGB setting that is adequate for
simple
> tasks, but for careful work factors such as age and ambient
light will
> affect colors.  You will have to save the illustrations using a tool
that
> supports the appropriate PDF/X standard.
>
> See <http://www.tug.org/pipermail/pdftex/2003-
October/004490.html>
> for an example.  You can use Adobe Apps to create PDF/X.
Unless your
> use of color is very simple, you should invest in a colorimeter
such as
> Pantone Huey, which will help to ensure that the printshop sees
the same
> colors you do.
>
> > 3) Is there a way to change the default output profile of
pdftex to get
> > more bold printing when one uses the Knuth Computer
Modern fonts, which
> > prints much to pale in most cases?
>
> No.  The fonts were designed that way, but some print shops
have problems
> with the thin lines (dropouts).   There are other fonts that may
be more
> suited to a particular document, but the choice is limited if you
need
> maths.  There are some documents on CTAN that compare the
options for maths
> using Type 1 fonts.
>
> > André Bellaďche
>
> These days, print shops expect authors to do much more of the
work.  It is
> difficult to achieve top quality using only free tools.   Most
shops are
> used to working with documents created using Adobe tools, so
it is
> generally a good idea to save all the illustrations with the
appropriate
> Adobe tool.
Just FYI:  For book covers the printer LSI wants PDF X/1a:2001 plus
ink coverage no greater than 260%  (The usual max is 300%)
Their tech told me that X/3 (popular in Europe) will mess up their
work flow.  LSI is the only economic avenue to Amazon, the
dominant on line book seller.  Therefore small and self publishers
are pretty much tied to that very restrictive standard.
 --
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"