[pdftex] xetex and pdftex

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sat Sep 5 13:10:42 CEST 2009

Am Fri, 4 Sep 2009 16:26:25 -0400 schrieb John Culleton:

> In theory xetex should be pdftex with enhanced font handling
> capability.

No, xetex is more like a combination of etex + dvipdfmx, enhanced
with some commands of pdftex, unicode support and font handling.

> Indeed xetex bypasses the whole mapping and tfm file
> structures that we have lived with for so many years.

It can bypass them, but it can also use them.

> Even quotation marks cannot be created in the usual fashion.

In case you mean through ligatures: Activate the tex-text mapping:

\font\test="Arial:+map:tex-text"

``abc''

--

\font\test="Arial"