[pdftex] Colour profiles and pdftex

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Sat Sep 5 11:09:50 CEST 2009

Hello,

I have gone into many troubles with a printing house recently about
colour profiles or workspaces of included illustrations. The printer
complained very much about colour profiles for image files embedded in
the pdf file, although the book was in black, and all the
illustrations had been converted to black and white or gray level.

These profiles or workspaces have names as Fogra 27 or Dot Gain 15%.

I know nothing about the subject, and could hardly find something
about it on the Web, or in the books about Illustrator and Photoshop
you can find in bookshops. So, these are my questions.

1) Where can I find both general and precise information about the
subject (books or url's)?

2) Is there a default profile included by pdftex in the files it
produces? What does pdftex do with the profile of included images,
which can be of various sources: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop,
Mathematica, Geoplan... ?

3) Is there a way to change the default output profile of pdftex to
get more bold printing when one uses the Knuth Computer Modern fonts,
which prints much to pale in most cases?

André Bellaïche