[pdftex] Too many files open

Ulrich Dirr ud at art-satz.de
Tue Oct 6 08:11:08 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm recently compiling a 1100 pages document containing about 700 high
resolution images. Everything compiles fine. But strangely when trying to
send to the editor a small file for proofing -- with
\RequirePackage[pdftex,draft]{graphicx} put in my style file -- I got
shortly before the end a "too many files open" error message, and acrobat or
pdf-xchange can't open the file produced.

I searched the archives and found a reply by Martin Schröder proposing to
put in the preamble
   \let\mypdfximage\pdfximage
   \def\pdfximage{\immediate\mypdfximage}.
This worked as far as the document now compiles without an error. But
unfortunately the document size -- despite displaying only frames for images
-- doesn't decrease at all!

I'm using pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.9 (MiKTeX 2.7).

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Ulrich