[pdftex] SVG and pdftex.

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Nov 1 16:17:35 CET 2009

(sorry if a blank version of this came out)

Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de> wrote:
> > 2009/10/30 John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com>:
> >> there plans for including it in pdftex?  I can of course convert to pdf
> >> in each case but that is an extra step.
> >
> > pdfTeX is frozen, so no.
>
> It would be nice to get a bit more info about pdftex even without any
> connection to svg

it doesn't seem useful, to me, beyond the statement that it's frozen.

> 1) On sarovar.org pdftex is listed as 1.40.9	August 16, 2008 while TL
> 2009 comes with  1.40.10

is sarovar still the canonical repository?  (we certainly gave up on it,
for the ctan catalogue)

> 2) http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=luatex claims that
>
> As is said elsewhere in these FAQs, development of PDFTeX is “in
> essence” complete — no new facilities are being developed, since the
> limitations of the present structure mean that the returns on effort
> invested are diminishing. The PDFTeX team has announced that no
> further developments will be added after the release of PDFTeX 1.50.0,
> which will be the next major release.
>
> So, what about 1.50 (with alpha version available from svn for years)
> - no, I never actually tried it?

plainly i should revise what my faq says.

martin, would you care to send me a revision of that text, or perhaps
some text for http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=whatpdftex

any help gratefully received.  i try to keep up with things, but people
often point out places where i'm out of date.

robin