[pdftex] character width mismatch in font XY.vf ignored

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Sun May 10 22:36:00 CEST 2009

On Sun, 10 May 2009, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> when I run the following document:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \pagestyle{empty}
> \begin{document}
> \fontsize{5cm}{6.2cm}
> \fontencoding{T1}\fontfamily{pag}\selectfont
> Test
>
> \end{document}
>
> I get a bundle of
>           character width mismatch in font pagk8t.vf ignored
> warnings.
>
> The warning is related to the font size, it starts when the font
> size is about 4,5cm, so I think it is a rounding error somewhere. As
> far as I can see all fonts which use a virtual font gives the same
> warning (I tried with fourier, bera and various adobe fonts).
>
> The number of warning varies but seems to lay for T1-fonts somewhere
> between 25-32.
>
> I get the warnings with lualatex (Version
> snapshot-0.39.0-2009041523) to but not with dvips or
> xelatex/xdvipdfmx).
>
> Is this a pdftex bug?

seems two different functions are used for tfm/vf width calculation. In
pdftex.web there is a macro store_scaled() for the tfm width, but for vf
scaling some C function sqxfw() (borrowed from dvipdfm) is used, and
they seem to behave slightly differently. Maybe if one would write a
Pascal function wrapper around store_scaled (which is the exact,
"official" TeX operation), one could get rid of sqxfw(). Just a wild
guess.

Regards, Hartmut