[pdftex] How to produce a table of contents in a left window? (was: How to produce outlines?)

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Thu Mar 5 12:50:58 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 12:18:01PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Thanks.  I want to produce a table of contents in a left window of the screen.
> In the pdftex manual I found the \pdfoutline command, but don't know how to use
> it.  Could you please provide an example of how to use it?

See again packages `hyperref' and `bookmark'. Even if you don't
want to use them, you could use it as example applications
for \pdfoutline. Also you should study the PDF specification
(bookmarks/outlines, actions, destinations, strings, ...) if
you want to do all the low level stuff yourself.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>