[pdftex] problem with margin kerning

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 01:24:22 CET 2009

I have a file that prints fine.

Wanting to add margin kerning, I added the following lines:

\input protcode.tex

\pdfprotrudechars 2

The protcode.tex (and the files that it calls) are taken from the current
release of Kubuntu.

Part of my file includes the following (to handle EC encoding properly):

% œ
\catcode`œ=\active
\defœ{{\char"F7}}

Then later, when pdfTeX encounters a "œ" character in the text, the
following happens (cut-and-pasted from a terminal session):

----

! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                   {
"->\ifnum \quotestate =0 {
                          \rm ``}\flipquotestate \else {\rm ''}\flipquotesta...

�->{\char "
           F7}
l.6272 f�
         tid breath swept over Catherine like a warm, noxious gale. She cowe...

?

----

Is this a bug in the margin kerning code? It seems like a file that printed
correctly without margin kerning should still compile properly once the
margin kerning code is included.

  Doc Evans

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR