[pdftex] translating data to macros

E R pc88mxer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 17:35:38 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Reinhard Kotucha
<reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

> You can either quote these characters or put the whole stuff into a
> verbatim environment.

By quoting do you mean prepending a backslash? One of my problems is
that the only way I know how to make a less-than symbol is to go into
math mode: $<$. There doesn't seem to be a uniform way to quote
characters so that they are not interpreted in any special way by TeX.
That means I need a table which translates characters to a TeX
sequence which will produce that character.

Re: verbatim... i don't that will work since I need to inline the
macros. E.g. the LaTeX template will look something like:

Dear \Name, Thank you for your interest in \Product. ...

The definitions of \Name and \Product will come from a database, so I
need to automate the creation of those macro definitions.

For what it's worth, here are the packages I am using:

\documentclass[10pt]{article}

\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage[T2A]{fontenc}