[pdftex] Embedding fonts

Wouter Bergmann Tiest W.M.BergmannTiest at uu.nl
Sat Apr 11 11:49:31 CEST 2009

Hi Arun,

On 11 Apr 2009, at 6:45, Arun Kejariwal wrote:

> For one my publications, I need to embed all the fonts in the pdf.
> However, in the pdf generated by pdflatex, the following three
> fonts - Courier-Bold, Times-Roman and Times-Bold - are NOT embedded.

What should work is changing "pdftexDownloadBase14 false" to
"pdftexDownloadBase14 true" in updmap.cfg and then running updmap as
root (sudo updmap). Alternatively, you can add the fonts later with
GhostScript by running

gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=out.pdf -c "<< /
NeverEmbed [false /Times-Roman /Times-Bold /Courier-Bold] >>
setdistillerparams" -f in.pdf

where in.pdf is the name of your document and out.pdf is the name of
the output file which will contain the fonts.

Good luck,

Wouter Bergmann Tiest