[pdftex] can't compile using mac tex distribution

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sat Apr 11 06:15:34 CEST 2009

Tim,

I'm Ccing your message below to Richard Koch, MacTeX maintainer. Also,
I would advise you to subscribe to the TeX on Mac OS mailing list:

where you can get proper help for your distribution, as the pdfTeX
mailing deals with pdfTeX development, and your problem is really
about your distribution.

That said, your problem is that Fink is getting on the way (/sw/ is
Fink's distribution main directory). Moreover, MacTeX *doesn't*
install binaries in /usr/bin (neither Fink, by the way), but
*symlinks* in /usr/texbin ---the actual binaries are in /usr/local/
texlive/2008/bin/universal-darwin.

So, please subscribe to the mailing list above and tell exactly how
you installed MacTeX and which other distributions (Fink, MacPorts...)
you have installed one time or another (that is, even if you have
uninstalled them).

Best regards,

Axel