[pdftex] Reply to "text rotation" in plain TeX

Brad Burkman BBurkman at lsmsa.edu
Wed Apr 8 14:14:17 CEST 2009

I have rotated text in plain Tex.  It's not hard, but is awkward.
As mentioned in previous replies, use \pdfliteral direct.
The transformation matrices you will need are described in the PDF Reference Manual.  In the PDFReference13.pdf I have, it's section 4.2.2.  In another version, look up "Transformation Matrices" in the index.  Google "PDF Reference Manual" if you don't have it; free.
To rotate x degrees, the matrix is    cos x sin x -sin x cos x 0 0 , follow by  cm , for "coordinate matrix."
To rotate 90 degrees, the text would be \pdfliteral direct{ 0 1 -1 0 0 0 cm }.  Spaces matter.
Transformation matrices to stretch, skew, and shift are described in the same section of the PDF Reference Manual.
Not hard.  The awkwardness comes in that the rotation is about the lower-left-hand corner of the page, which may rotate your text off the page.  If anyone knows a systematic way to compensate, please post.  I just play with \hskip and \vskip to move it back where I want it.
More awkwardness comes in that the matrix affects everything after it, and you have to put in another matrix to switch it back, which doesn't always happen cleanly.
The first time you try it, start with a small transformation.  I suggest this code:

This text is not rotated.

\pdfliteral direct{ .99619 .08716 -.08716 .99619 0 0 cm } This text is rotated 5 degrees about the lower-left corner of the page.

\pdfliteral direct{ .99619 -.08716 .08716 .99619 0 0 cm } This text is rotated back 5 degrees and should be aligned with the first sentence.
\bye

Remember that cos(-x) = cos(x) and sin(-x) = -sin(x).  I'm excited to tell my trigonometry class today that I actually used that.

Cheers.

Brad Burkman

J. Bradford Burkman
Instructor in Mathematics
Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts
Andover Summer Session, Phillips Academy
bburkman at lsmsa.edu
318-527-9209

Today's Topics:

   1. text rotation (Bonaventura de'Vidovich)
   2. Re: text rotation (Pawe? Jackowski)
   3. Re: text rotation (Heiko Oberdiek)

Message: 1