[pdftex] Incorrect pdf produced from a single correct pdf file

Olivier Cailloux mlsmg at ulb.ac.be
Wed Oct 8 17:41:05 CEST 2008

Thanh Han The a écrit :
> I asked Olivier for a copy of his pdftex binary, and
> ldd shows that the binary is indeed linked against libpoppler.
>
> To verify, I installed debian lenny and texlive using
> apt-get (that's Olivier's platform), and built pdftex 1.40.3 on
> from sources that platform. The "stock" pdftex gave the same
> problem as described here, and pdftex built from sources
> works fine. So, this seems to be a distro-specific problem.
>
> This "xpdf vs libpoppler" story is already known to most of
> us. Those who want to know more about this can do a google
> search on "pdftex xpdf libpoppler".

Google told me why Debian wanted libpoppler rather than the xpdf code
embedded copy (e.g.,
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/poppler/2006-January/001519.html),
but Google didn't told me what happened to the "normal",
build-from-source, pdftex code.

If I understand correctly, the pdftex-built-from-source version did not
follow Debian's idea and is still using the famous
embedded-xpdf-code-Debian-wanted-to-get-rid-of rather than linked with
libpoppler, whereas my version is rather linked with libpoppler?

And thus, the bug comes from libpoppler and I should file a bug report
against that package?

I hope I won't start a flame war "xpdf vs libpoppler". I am just asking
to make sure I understand the problem.

Thank you for your help.
Olivier