[pdftex] Incorrect pdf produced from a single correct pdf file

Olivier Cailloux mlsmg at ulb.ac.be
Sat Oct 4 21:09:52 CEST 2008

Thank you to all those who responded so quickly. I am still wondering is
someone can explain why the given tex file does not work for me when it
does work for others...

A few comments, concatenating all relevant replies.

Martin Schröder asks me why not doing it in LaTeX: as Andreas said, I am
indeed trying to merge the files using LaTeX (and I did not expect to
start a pdfTeX vs LaTeX war!). But it did not work with the pdfpages
package in LaTeX and I am trying to discover why. My post here is simply
to try to boil the problem down to some more precise problem.

The backslashes characters have been stripped from my post for an
unknown reason, as John Culleton noticed. Naturally they were present
when I compiled the tex file.

Thank you also for the alternative suggested tex commands, but it won't
help me as I am only trying to understand how come that the sample tex
file does not work for me where it correctly works for others.

Hartmut Henkel says that "the PDF in the attachment of your e-mail
contains in object no. 1 a broken LZW stream (but the RMItd24.pdf is
ok.). This can't be forced (easily) by macro programming, so it could be
some bug in the old pdfTeX version or its xpdf library used for creating
the PDF file. My current pdfTeX-1.50.0-alpha here doesn't produce a
corrupted PDF."

Very interesting remark. But I am still not convinced that this
is a version problem, as Andreas tells me that my sample .tex file works
for him on his system using the same pdftex and xpdf versions as I do
(except that, looking closely, he has version 3.141592-1.40.3-2.2 where
I have version 3.141592-1.40.3, what's this 2.2 behind?).

I will try to report the problem on the Debian bug reporting system, as
the problem probably is distribution specific. Please tell me if you are
interested by the results.

Olivier