[pdftex] Getting error in \CJK at plane

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Thu Nov 13 12:15:47 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 04:04:53PM +0530, Suman_Tripathy wrote:

> Possibly I will not able to create a very small example to show the error.

There are many ways to get a small example, e.g.:
* Stripping down the original large problem file.
* Extending a small example.
* ...

> But I can explain when I get the problem. I am preparing one pdf for
> language Korean. There I am using pdfannot to display some text in English
> which contains some Unicode char as well. As pdfannot uses raw data, to
> display Unicode I am using hyperref package and pdfstringdef as suggested
> by Haiko in reply to one of my posts. If I take Haiko given example:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \let\OrgShow\show
> \usepackage{ucs}
> \AtBeginDocument{\let\show\OrgShow}
> \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
> \PreloadUnicodePage{0}
> \PreloadUnicodePage{33}
> \usepackage[unicode]{hyperref}[2006/08/01]
> \begin{document}
> Hi
> \pdfstringdef\ContentsString{Phrase Code = ^^c2^^a9^^e2^^84^^a2} \pdfannot{%
>   /Subtype/Square%
>   /Border[0 0 .1]%
>   /C[0 0 1]%
>   /T(BoilerPlate)%
>   /Contents(\ContentsString)%
> }
> \end{document}
>
> In the problem scenario the text "Hi" is displayed properly in
> Korean(whatever might be the translation), but ContentsString which is
> supposed to display a English sentence (which contains some Unicode char)
> fails to do so and gives the error.

Error message?

If you are using option `CJKbookmarks' (violates the PDF standard),
then this option should be disabled for your English text with
Unicode characters:
  \hypersetup{CJKbookmarks=false}%
  \pdfstringdef\ContentsString{...}%
  \hypersetup{CJKbookmarks}%