[pdftex] \texorpdfstring and \ge \le

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Thu May 8 22:36:09 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 02:01:54PM +0200, Thierry Bouche wrote:

> V> Thanks a lot. Is it true that that \90 means Symbol?
>
> No, \9 means nothing. According to hyperref.dtx,
>    6.6.8 Converting to Unicode
>    Eight bit characters are converted to the sixteen bit ones, \8 is
>    replaced by \00, and \9 is removed.
>
>    i.e. \9042\145 = \042\145
>
>    As things were coded that way in puenc.def, i used that style, but I
>    don't know if it is of any use in our context!

Option `unicode' uses UTF-16BE for bookmark strings, however
the TeX input also have characters with one byte (A-Z, a-z, ...),
therefore \pdfstringdef must translate the one-byte-characters
in characters with two bytes.
  In case of \042\145 it is unclear, whether this is one character
or two. Therefore \9 or \8 marks a character of two bytes.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>