[pdftex] \texorpdfstring and \ge \le

Thierry Bouche thierry.bouche at ujf-grenoble.fr
Wed May 7 13:28:08 CEST 2008

V> unfortunately does not work for me, displaying in bookmarks something
V> strange. Probably depends on document encoding etc

yes, I tested with unicode package and utf8x input encoding, thus the
UTF8 encoding of the character was OK as input to pdfstringdef. For
convenience, as I used an iso-latin1 text editor to edit the source
(which might be considered a silly combination with utf8x input
encoding!), I used the escaped hex string.

If you know the unicode char you want to define, I found that you still
can use the UTF8 encoding for that char using some utilities in
hyperref;

\makeatletter
\DeclareTextCommand{\textge}{PU}{\HyPsd at UTFviii@three^^e2^^89^^a5}
\makeatother

In fact, once this has been processed, you can look into the .out file
to see that the more classical way for that char would be:

\DeclareTextCommand{\textge}{PU}{\9042\145}

But, I didn't understand why 2265 (hex) = 8805 (dec) = 21145 (oct)
should be encoded in PDF as \042\145

(not sure this helps, but hope this triggers some more informed
comments!)
 Thierry