[pdftex] Strange error: hyperref meets multline

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 02:54:12 CET 2008

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Ross Moore <ross at ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi Victor, and others.
>

>  On 09/03/2008, at 8:50 AM, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>
>  > I found a strange error (after massive usage of the construction
>  > similar to the following)
>  >
>  >
>  > \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>  >
>  > \usepackage[leqno]{amsmath}
>  > \usepackage{amssymb}
>  >
>  >
>  > \usepackage{hyperref}
>  >
>  >
>  > \begin{document}
>  > \begin{equation}
>  > 1+1=2
>  > \label{A}
>  > \end{equation}
>  >
>  > \newpage
>  >
>  > \begin{multline}
>  > 2+1=2
>  > \label{B}\tag*{$(\ref*{A})^*$}
>
>  Why are you putting a \ref  inside the  \tag{...} ?

I am putting \ref* not \ref. Which

>  So when you call  \ref{B}  part of the processing will be
>  to evaluate  \ref*{A} .
>  This results in the macro holding the target anchor for \ref{B}
>  being replaced by that for \ref{A} .

No, because \ref* does not create an anchor (see hyperref documentation).

The purpose of this is to have equation tag for a second equation the
same as for the first one but with * and to do it automatically

> I suspect that you want the visual result of the \ref*{A} to be  put onto the page, but without the extra processing of hyperlinks

No, if I wanted this I would put \ref*{B}. I want hyperlink to follow
to page where {B} is. And this construction perfectly works with
equation and align

Victor