[pdftex] pdfbookmark problems with auto-greek or iso-8859-7

Jörg Ebeling joerg.ebeling at shbe.net
Sat Jun 28 15:15:51 CEST 2008

Hi Werner,

Werner LEMBERG schrieb:

>>> Yes.  You have to explicitly switch languages, probably using
>>> \foreignlanguage{}{}.  Remember that in fonts which use the LGR
>>> encoding, Greek letters are positioned where you normally find
>>> Roman ones.
>>>
>> Well but this is exactly my problem. I already recognized Babel's
>> \textgreek and \textlatin switches and they work well, but I can't
>> use them !
>>
>> I need to mix Latin and Greek letters within one stream because I
>> get the data as Unicode from a Database and there a Unicode "a" is
>> simply a Latin "a" and not an Greek alpha (or whatever it is in
>> Greek ^^).
>>

> What about using a filter before calling TeX to tag strings of Greek
> character with \textgreek?  I don't see a solution within TeX while
> using the LGR encoding.

Well, this would be my last alternative (or try) if I find no other
solution.

> In general, using different scripts in TeX without tagging is always
> problematic.  You could try the CJK environment (part of my CJK
> package) with UTF8 encoding which maps Unicode to subfonts -- your
> example would work with fonts like cyberbit.ttf out of the box -- but
> this has serious disadvantages because there is no kerning between
> various subfonts (just think of accented Latin-1 characters which are
> in subfont 01, while ASCII characters are in subfont 00).  In case you
> are restricted to modern Greek, only glyphs from a single subfont are
> used, so it may be an adequate solution.

I think the limitation to non-accented Latin-1 chars would be no problem.
Modern Greek restriction also sounds OK, but I should ask that the Greek
Office first.
However...

> I've attached the UTF8.tex sample file from the CJK package.

Lot thanks for the ideas and the sample.
I played a little bit with it but I've some problems.

1.) I couldn't get the \pdfbookmarks working with it. Should
\pdfbookmarks with mixed characters work also with CJK ?
2.) I got errors with:
\DeclareFontFamily{T1}{song}{}
\DeclareFontShape{T1}{song}{m}{n}{<-> cyberb00}{}
\renewcommand\rmdefault{song}
and disabled them for testing. Is this the reason why I only get "the
bad" Type3 fonts in the output ?

Thanks a lot for your help

    Jörg

Soft- & Hardware Beratung Ebeling