[pdftex] pdfbookmark problems with auto-greek or iso-8859-7

Jörg Ebeling joerg.ebeling at shbe.net
Sat Jun 28 01:36:16 CEST 2008

Hi Werner,

Werner LEMBERG schrieb:
>> Here I made a very small example how I tried to use it:
>> ====================
>> \documentclass[pdftex]{book}
>> \usepackage[unicode=true,pdftex]{hyperref}
>> \usepackage{ucs}
>> \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
>> \usepackage[LGR]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage[greek, english]{babel}
>> \PreloadUnicodePage{3}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>>
>> \pdfbookmark[1]{????????? ????????}{BM_4555}
>> ???????? ??????????,??????? ?????? ????????? ?? UV Block(IEC~357)
>>

> I only see question marks, no Greek.  It seems that you have encoding
> problems, either with your mailing program, or within the file itself.

Sorry. I didn't took attention to my mail editor encoding.

Here's the line again:

\pdfbookmark[1]{Λαμπτήρες Αλογόνων}{BM_4555}
Στιβαρής κατασκευής,χαμηλής πίεσης λαμπτήρας με UV Block (IEC~357)

>> Unfortunately, it hasn't worked as I hoped.
>> The Latin stuff (UV Block ...) gets written in Greek letters :-( .
>>

> Yes.  You have to explicitly switch languages, probably using
> \foreignlanguage{}{}.  Remember that in fonts which use the LGR
> encoding, Greek letters are positioned where you normally find Roman
> ones.

Well but this is exactly my problem. I already recognized Babel's
\textgreek and \textlatin switches and they work well, but I can't use
them !
I need to mix Latin and Greek letters within one stream because I get
the data as Unicode from a Database and there a Unicode "a" is simply a
Latin "a" and not an Greek alpha (or whatever it is in Greek ^^).

Any further ideas ?

Jörg

Soft- & Hardware Beratung Ebeling
Jörg Ebeling