[pdftex] [NTG-pdftex] pdf/a-1b preflight warning: glyph width info incomplete/inconsistent

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Jun 9 13:27:01 CEST 2008

The Thanh Han wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I encountered an interesting problem with pdf/a-1b checking:
> if a pdf (produced by pdftex) contains a glyph with zero
> width (for example, /mapsto from blsy/mtsy), then pdf/a-1b
> preflight by Acrobat8 gives warnings about
> incomplete/inconsistent width info. From the technical view,
> the pdf file seems to be ok: the glyph width in the fontinfo
> dict is 0 (read from mtsy.tfm), and from the font program:
>
> ,--------
> | /mapsto {
> |         56 0 hsbw
> `--------
>
> So the reason seems that when Acrobat sees a zero glyph
> width, it treates that width as "missing". Does anyone have
> some similar experience with this?

in general preflighting documents with math fonts (which show up nicely
on the screen and where no system fonts are used i.e. we're not in some
fall back mode) is kind of problematic and lots of missing glyphs are
reported; unfortunately the file then becomes corrupted when written to
disk (acrobat repair mode)

Hans