[pdftex] pdflatex: paper size

Alain Matthes alain.matthes at mac.com
Sat Jul 26 05:01:34 CEST 2008

Le 26 juil. 08 à 02:36, Darrell Long a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I installed TeXlive (replaced teTeX) and am having problems with
> pdflatex. I cannot figure out how to set the paper size. I found
> something on the web about editting pdftexconfig.tex (which I did) but
> it had no effect ('ll attach it below).
>
> I am running on a Mac (TeXlive) under OS/X 1.5.4. dvips and dvipdf are
> working fine, so the texconfig command did what it should there. I
> installed the software using MacPorts.

Hi,

A better and safe solution is to use MacTeX

The TeX Live installed by MacTeX is identical to that obtained by
installing using TeX Live's own install script, with the following
exceptions:

	• MacTeX's TeX Live is configured to use $HOME/Library/texmf rather
than $HOME/texmf for user additions to thetexmf tree. This is the
location used by previous versions of TeX on Mac OS X from Gerben
Wierda. After adding files to this location, texhash need not be run.

	• When the TeX Live install script finishes, it prints a message
suggesting that users configure TeX paper size for "letter" or "a4"
paper. MacTeX does this step automatically. TeX Live suggests using
the command

sudo texconfig-sys paper letter

(or "a4" instead of "letter" where appropriate), while MacTeX issues
two commands:

sudo texconfig-sys paper letter
sudo texconfig-sys dvips paper letter

This makes a subtle difference which will not affect most users. The
MacTeX approach tells dvips to insert postscript commands "letter" or
"a4" in postscript output. When this output is then converted to pdf
form by Ghostscript or Apple's Distiller, the "letter" and "a4"
commands are used to produce correct pdf files. Some printers do not
understand the "letter" and "a4" commands, which is why TeX Live uses
only the first command. Mac users almost never send postscript files
directly to a printer, but they often convert postscript to pdf.
Gerben Wierda's distributions are configured for paper size using the
MacTeX approach.

"sudo texconfig-sys" must be usefull in your case

Best Regards

Alain