[pdftex] pdftex output -> Acrobat Professional

ivo welch ivowel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 04:14:48 CEST 2008

Dear experts---I have a document that was created by pdftex under linux

Author:         Mepdfstartview
Creator:        pdflatexletterpaper
Producer:       pdfTeX-1.40.1
CreationDate:   Wed Jun 25 11:02:53 2008
ModDate:        Wed Jun 25 11:02:53 2008
Tagged:         no
Pages:          143
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      612 x 792 pts (letter)
File size:      629639 bytes
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.4

It displays and prints fine.  All the fonts are embedded, too.

I am trying to run this pdf file through Adobe Acrobat Professional
8.1.1.  (I want to convert it into MS Word---unfortunately, someone
who does not know latex needs it.)

Alas Acrobat complains that "Bad PDF; could not read page structure
(bad page contents). <Expected a number object.> [143]".  Similarly,
trying to export it as a pdf/A document tells me that it cannot save
the file and advises me to do a preflight to determine my errors.
(Strangely, when preflighting as pdf 1.5, the preflight finds no
errors or warnings.)  Of course, this could simply be an Acrobat Pro
8.1.1 bug.

Has anyone else run into this?

Sincerely,

/iaw

---------

pdfTeX 3.141592-1.40.1-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.6)
kpathsea version 3.5.6
Copyright 2007 Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea is copyright 2007 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the pdfTeX source.
Primary author of pdfTeX: Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf Weber, and others.

Compiled with libpng 1.2.15; using libpng 1.2.15
Compiled with zlib 1.2.3; using zlib 1.2.3
Compiled with xpdf version 3.01