[pdftex] emlines and pdfLatex

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 2 12:38:42 CET 2008

Hilmar Preusse <hille42 at web.de> wrote:

> > how can I use emlines form emlines.sty with pdflatex?
> >
> I'm afraid you won't:
>
> % Nur bei Verwendung der DVI-Treiber von Eberhard Mattes.
>
> says everything I guess: you have to generate a dvi file to use the
> macros. I don't know if that dvi drivers was ported to other
> platforms than DOS,

most dvips distributions i've used accept the emtex specials.  (i don't
know if it's officially optional, but it seems pretty much global.)

nevertheless, it's probably about time people should start migrating
away from emtex drawing...  those who want to remain with one arm tied
behind their back may like pict2e (which provides latex picture mode
without the restrictions); if i were starting again i would probably go
for pgf/tikz.

rf