[pdftex] ODFTeX ...

Sachin Garg s.garg at computer.org
Sun Feb 24 09:17:39 CET 2008

Hi everyone,

I am new here (to the PDFTeX newsgroup, that is).

What I wish to say here might be off-topic, but I am posting it here
because of the wide variety of talent and TeX experience in this group.

For quite some time I have been thinking about ODFTeX which would be a
variant of TeX (like PDFTeX) to directly create documents in Open
Document Format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument). The
rationale behind this is that frequently we need to send people
documents in editable formats (sadly .doc is a widely used format and
OpenOffice can convert between ODF and DOC). So, the idea would be to
create a TeX that can directly output ODF. Also,, mechanisms to do clean
round-trips.

I know bits and pieces of this is available, but nothing that does it in
one shot.

Any ideas etc.?

Cheers :)
- Sachin
--
	War is delightful to those who have had no
			experience of it.  -- Desiderius