[pdftex] Broken hyperlinks in browser plug-ins

Rolf A. de By deby at itc.nl
Fri Aug 29 10:59:05 CEST 2008

Dear all,

A quick scan of the list archives did not yield anything immediately
useful, still I guess this must be a well-known issue.

We are creating course materials here with a combination of tools
(Miktex 2.7, pdflatex 2008.5.6, beamer class) to create mutually
hyperlinked pdf documents. We apply \hyperref[]{} commands to create the
links.
This works without problems, and documents can be used as intended from
Adobe Reader, at least version 7 and up.  When the same pdf documents
are opened inside a browser (IE, Firefox, Safari on XP)  hyperlinks to
other documents no longer work.  That other document does open in the
pdf plug-in, but displays the first page of the doc, not the hyperlinked
target page.  All goes well with Safari on Mac, however.

Is this known behaviour?  Is there a known solution?  I'd be very happy
to find out how to make this work on all platforms, as our course
attendants approach the documents from BlackBoard, an educational CMS
based on browser technology.

Rolf de By

International Institute for Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
Chamber of Commerce: 410 27 560

E-mail disclaimer
The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.