[pdftex] Read Out Loud function in Acrobat Reader for Dyslexic students

Brad Burkman BBurkman at lsmsa.edu
Thu Aug 28 00:14:37 CEST 2008

I teach high-school mathematics and write all of my curriculum materials
in pdfTeX.  I am exploring the "Read Out Loud" function in Acrobat
Reader for a dyslexic student who needs to have the questions read to
her aloud.  We have people to help her, but I'd like to give her as much
independence as possible.

Can I, using pdftex or pdflatex, add alternate text to tags in the
reading order so that, while the student sees the result of $-{3\over 8}
+ {3 \over 4}$, it will read aloud as "negative three over eight plus
three over four," not "thirty-three hyphen forty-eight"?  An Adobe
tutorial tells me how to change the tags using Acrobat, but I want to do
it in TeX.

Anyone done this or interested in exploring it?

Brad Burkman

Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts

bburkman at lsmsa.edu