[pdftex] FYI: Feature Requests for Adobe Reader

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 21:57:12 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Paul Vojta <vojta at math.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 08:42:45PM -0400, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>  > I strongly believe that majority of paper journals exist only because
>  > either people need to get peer reviewed publication or just follow old
>  > habits. Majority of my esteemed colleagues {\label{1}learned TeX  when
>  > they were grads - and often looking their supervisor TeX} (who \ref{1}
>  > :)
>
>  Well, also there's the fact that the abstracting and indexing services
>  (so far) index only published journals.

Published, printed,  peer-reviewed are not not synonyms. At this
moment only electronic indices / abstracts are of value and they often
send you to electronic versions of papers. Going through printed MR or
ZM amounts to cruel and unusual punishment. And MR used to be so
sloooow.

And in certain topics people made their own wikis - fast and pretty complete.

Cinema used to be a poor man' theater. Not anymore. Lucking certain
features of the theater cinema has its own advantages. Similarly DVD
players are not poor man' movie theaters. Electronic papers even
prepared with no extra efforts except putting few lines in preamble
have so numerous advantages. I suspect that situation here is unstable
equilibrium and at some moment there will be almost instant phase
transition when majority of journals will become overnight purely
electronic. Or printed on cheap crappy looking 55 times recycled paper
:-)

However this discussion seems to go far away from the original topic.

Victor