[pdftex] FYI: Feature Requests for Adobe Reader

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 02:42:45 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Ross Moore <ross at ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi Victor,
>

>  My thoughts exactly.

And I forgot about attachments! And comments!

>  Here is an example that I'd like people to test,
>  in different version of PDF reader software and
>  different OS versions.
>

>  Get this mathematical paper:  (no subscription required)
>
>    http://www.austms.org.au/Publ/Bulletin/V72P1/pdf/721-5019-LoPo.pdf

On AR 7.09, 8.1.2 works as intended (1.). On Preview does not work at
all (there should be no popup but it also fails to follow hyperlink to
p 10). Wonder to see the source (pdf comments allow only text and I
long ago wondered about more sophisticated pop-ups). Some
imperfection: after pop-up comes I can neither get rid of it (except
reopen document), nor move it, nor resize it (except magnifying the
whole page) (beauty of online reading is that one can select the
magnification). Should be some "close" box (at least)

One of not used method would be to place in the article small
thumbnails and large drawings as pop-up attachments.

I strongly believe that majority of paper journals exist only because
either people need to get peer reviewed publication or just follow old
habits. Majority of my esteemed colleagues {\label{1}learned TeX  when
they were grads - and often looking their supervisor TeX} (who \ref{1}
:)

>  The intended action is 1. (which works in AR on the Mac).
>  If this doesn't happen then either Javascript support is
>  turned off (and you should get 2. occurring),
>  or Javascript is unsupported or severely limited within
>  your browser software.
>  This ought to qualify as a bug worth reporting;
>  or fixing it could be considered as a feature request.
>

>  Hope this is useful.
>
>  Cheers,
>
>         Ross

>  Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au
>  Mathematics Department                           office: E7A-419
>  Macquarie University                             tel: +61 (0)2 9850 8955
>  Sydney, Australia  2109                          fax: +61 (0)2 9850 8114

Victor