[pdftex] FYI: Feature Requests for Adobe Reader

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 17:56:05 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:25 AM, Juergen Fenn <juergen.fenn at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>  >
>  >  I don't need AR on the Mac at all. I installed it when I bought my
>  >  Macintosh, but I never used it. I use TeXShop as PDF viewer when writing
>  >  in Emacs, and I use Preview for opening and printing PDF files. TeXShop
>  >  refreshes PDF view after re-compilation while Preview does not.
>  >
>  >  Jürgen.
>  >

>  At this moment AR is the only full-featured pdf browser. Preview and
>  other related s/w does not support embedded movies, flash
>  It does not support forms.  It does not support pdf bundles. There are
>  documents which could be adequately seen only with AR. Victor

Emacs+DocView on Fedora 8 displays a file (formatted with pdf(la)tex
1.40.3) that AR and xpdf both render as blank pages.

I think you are talking about X(treme)PDF, not the sort of PDF most
TeX documents would produce.

PDF seems be suffering from the old tradeofff where features are
added at the expense of reliability.  If people are adding features, I'd
like to see some designed to help with debugging:

1.  better error reporting from viewers/printers (including font
    rasterizers)

2.  tools to give information about a selection (font, etc.)

3.  potential problems such as attempts to draw outside the
    page (may explain the FAQ: "why can't I see my figure?").

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia