[pdftex] FYI: Feature Requests for Adobe Reader

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 17:01:12 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Nelson H. F. Beebe <beebe at math.utah.edu> wrote:

>  I finally found a printing solution that works in Acrobat Reader and
>  Acrobat Professional on Mac OS X and Windows Vista, but not, alas, in
>  the Unix versions of Acrobat Reader. I put the solution in our FAQ on
>  printing:
>
>         Follow the menu path <TT>File</TT> -&gt; <TT>Print</TT> -&gt;
>         <TT>Advanced</TT> and select the button labeled
>         <TT CLASS="highlight">Print as Image</TT>.  That button
>         appears to be available only on Mac OS X and Windows versions
>         of the product.
>
>  The Unix Acrobat Reader's lack that critical button.

On linux, kpdf (>=3.5.7) does have the button (print panel, "PDF Options" tab,
"Force rasterization" checkbox.).   The print quality is, however, not
as good as using the printer's rasterizer (but infinitely better than
blank pages, which I get without the option from both acroread and
kpdf!).

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia