[pdftex] Correct use of font expansion.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Sep 26 16:06:20 CEST 2007

I use plain pdftex. Here is my current setup:
\pretolerance 200
\tolerance 400
\font\rm putr8r at 10pt
\rm
\input protcode.tex
\pdfprotrudechars=2
\setprotcode\font
\pdffontexpand\rm 20 20 5 autoexpand

Is this code correct and sufficient?  It does not yield an error message but I
still have problems with a few overflow lines in my text, in particular a
long word at the end of the first line of a paragraph thus:
\par ``Consider me a representative of God on earth. Remember the
Twenty-third (etc)
The word fragment "Twenty" overflows the line. I can hyphenate it to Twen\-ty
but this puts an additional hyphen in a word already hyphenated.

If my micrographic expansion code is functioning then I can take other means
to eliminate the error, such as inserting \break after "Remember the", or
negative kerning between words etc. .  But I want to make sure that
micrographic expansion and contraction is correctly configured first.

--
John Culleton
http://wexfordpress.com