[pdftex] ToUnicode map

Michail Vidiassov master at iaas.msu.ru
Wed Sep 19 06:02:03 CEST 2007

Dear Than,

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Thanh Han The wrote:

>> BTW, are you sure that mapping
>> Delta, Omega and mu not to greek letters,
>> but to Increment, Omh sign and Micro sign is optimal?
>> IMHO it comes from AGL 2.0, but Adobe later changed their mind
>> in AGL for new fonts 1.6.
>> As it is now search works OK in my readers, but just to be on the safe
>> side...
>
> to be honest I am not sure, as I am not a Unicode expert. I
> just followed the guides I could find about this topic.
> After all I am not using it -- and the guys who asked for
> the feature are silent so I suppose everything is ok :)

OK, now _I_ am not silent.
As it turns out, everything worked for me before because
the fonts I used had "unicode" glyph names (uniXXXX),
thus ToUnicode map was irrelevant.

If old-style glyph names (Delta, Omega, mu) are used - the problem surfaces.
Since the three glyphs are mismapped some viewers fail when it comes to search
(those based on Mac OS libraries with Omega,
  Foxit Reader on widows with mu,
  Acrobat is OK - they know their bugs)
  and conversion to text is also broken
(Delta Omega mu in the tex file * pdflatex
  * pdftotext from xpdf suite = Increment Ohm micro in txt).

The full example is at http://www.iaas.msu.ru/tmp/greek.tgz

The proposed fix is to have

\pdfglyphtounicode{Delta}{0394}
\pdfglyphtounicode{Omega}{03A9}