[pdftex] Scan density of line art in pdftex.

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Sat Sep 8 07:46:07 CEST 2007

On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 02:13:14AM -0400, John Culleton wrote:

> I scan a line drawing giving it a density of 600 dpi and save it as PS.
> I convert the PS file to PDF using ps2pdf.
> I import the line drawing into my pdftex document reducing its dimensions by
> half with the "width=" parameter.
>
> The line drawing should appear at the correct size. But is it now still at 600
> dpi, 1200 dpi or is this descriptor irrelevant since it is presumably a
> vector item?

Ghostscript doesn't vectorize and change the bitmap data.
If you start with 600dpi x 600dpi, then you will have
1200dpi x 1200dpi after scaling by \includegraphics by half in
each direction.
  If you have a black&white bitmap, you can try potrace
to get a vector graphics.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>