[pdftex] Looping presentations inside another document

Alexander Grahn A.Grahn at fzd.de
Tue Oct 30 16:51:14 CET 2007

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 04:18:59PM +0100, Hartmut Henkel wrote:

>never played with animate, but i wonder why the splitting step is
>needed? the \pdfximage has page as optional parameter, like \pdfximage
>width 9cm page 3 {TriangleCenters.pdf}. Why doesn't animate use this?

I know about this and I have been asked several times to incorporate
this feature. The main reason why I haven't done yet and probably won't
do in the future is the fact that PDF is the only format which supports
multiple pages and there are quite a few possible graphics formats
for use with animate, depending on the PDF producing route (pdfTeX or
dvips). Postscript may as well contain multiple pages but the `psfile'
special from dvips doesn't provide an option for selecting individual
pages.

To make animate accept multipage PDFs would require to determine the type
of the file to be embedded and the number of pages therein. Next I would
have to redesign the inclusion macro \animategraphics to accept single
and multipage files in a consistent manner and to cope with erraneous
user input. All this seems to blow up the implementation and make it
prone to errors. Therefore I tend to stick to the pdftk solution.

Regards,
Alexander