[pdftex] making pdf document accessible using LaTeX

James Quirk jjq at galcit.caltech.edu
Wed Nov 14 00:01:38 CET 2007

I've put together a small test sheet:

   http://www.amrita-ebook.org/tex-group/tts.pdf

which shows Sable working with pdftex. There are three pieces of text: (i)
Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky; (ii) a collection of numbers; (iii) the first
few lines of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_identity.

Each case has two buttons. The button marked "sable" exports an attachment
to the Festival text-to-speech processor. The button marked "wav" is the
audio file I generate at my end, and is what you should get from Festival
at your end.

With my setup, Linux/AR8.1.1, AR's built-in TTS does not fair too well,
although I expect Windows/OSX users might have better luck.
Still, when I look at PDF's Alternate Text facility it just seems
to be lacking the markup needed to fine-tune speech output,
or at least it does not offer Sable's sophistication.

James